Your guide to home health care in Louisiana.This guide can help you learn more about home health care in Louisiana and help you select an agency to care for you or your loved ones.
What is home care?
"Home care" is a simple phrase that encompasses a wide range of health and social services delivered at home to recovering, disabled, chronically or terminally ill persons in need of medical, nursing, social, or therapeutic treatment and/or assistance with the essential activities of daily living.
What kind of patients need home care?
- Generally, home care is appropriate whenever a person prefers to stay at home but needs ongoing care that cannot easily or effectively be provided solely by family and friends. People who may choose home care include:
- Older people, who want to live independent, non-institutionalized lives as their physical capabilities diminish.
- Younger adults who are disabled or recuperating from acute illness.
- Chronically ill infants and children are receiving sophisticated medical treatment in their loving and secure home environment.
- Adults and children diagnosed with terminal illness wishing to receivie compassionate care and maintain dignity at the end of life.
As the length of hospital stays decrease, more patients need highly skilled services when they return home. Other patients are able to stay at home from the beginning, receiving safe and effective care in the comfort of their own homes.
Types of Home Care Services - Summary
Types of Home Care Services - Specific Information
How to select a Home Health Provider
Who Provides Home Care?
Home Health Patient Rights
What To Do If A Problem Develops
Find a Home Health Agency in Your Area
Other Useful Resources
WebMD: WebMD Health, a leading consumer-focused healthcare information Web site, allows consumers access to health and wellness news, support communities, interactive health management tools and more. WebMD's mission is to be the most objective, credible and trusted source of consumer healthcare information that helps people play an active role in managing their own health. Consumers can participate in real-time discussions with experts and with other people who share similar health conditions or concerns.
Family Caregiving Statistics: Compiled by the National Family Caregivers Association.